I’m always looking for more nutritious substitutions for unhealthy foods. There are so many veggies out there that offer so much more than the traditional white potatoes. Squash, turnips and rutabagas have been making an appearance in my diet lately.
One unlikely suspect to make ‘mock fries’ is…..the carrot!
Potatoes, rutabagas, turnips, carrots…they’re all from the same ‘root vegetable’ category. So I started thinking that if I attempted to make fries out of them like sweet potato or regular fries it may be tasty….and it was!
Spicy Roasted Carrot Fries
5-6 medium carrots
Spices- paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt & pepper, chili powder
Preheat oven to 425
1. Peel the carrots and slice them lengthwise.
2. Cut them again into thin strips about 1/2 thick.
3. Spray a cooking sheet with non-stick spray or olive oil. Add your carrots and make sure they are spaced out and not over lapping.
4. Drizzle your olive oil over the ‘fries’. Add your spices. I didn’t really measure here, just a couple of dashes of each of the spices (except cayenne, go easy on that!)
5. Mix them up so they are all coated with oil and spices.
6. Bake for about 15-20 minutes. Take out the carrots and flip them.
Carrots halfway through
Bake for another 15 minutes or until they are browned. Keep an eye on them..my oven is older so timing may vary.
7. Serve with sunbutter, preferably….. heaven!
The sweetness of carrots and the spices makes a delicious combo with sunbutter or any other nutbutter. Yum! Making these again. So much better than regular fries!
What are your favorite substitutes for fries?