I have invented something amazing!!! Okay I probably didn’t invent it. I know we’ve all ditched the white potatoes by now…duh…and you’ve probably heard of or even tried subbing mashed cauliflower for potatoes. I’ve tried this before and it was so-so. I wasn’t a fan of the chunky and gritty consistency. It was fine, but I wasn’t rushing out to make it again.
While making a Paleo Shepard’s pie last week I think I invented my new favorite substitute for mashed potatoes. Sweet Potato Cauliflower Mash. You MUST try this if you haven’t. It was rich, creamy and extremely flavorful.
I topped my Shepard’s pie with the mixture and it was heavenly.
Sweet Potato Cauliflower Mash
1/2 of a medium sweet potato
1/2 head of cauliflower
1-2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp coconut oil
salt, pepper, and garlic powder
1. First, cook your sweet potato and cauliflower. I cooked my (whole) sweet potato in the microwave for 10 minutes.
2. Chop the cauliflower into florets and place in a saucepan filled with water. Cook until soft.
3. Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in a sauté pan.
4. Add garlic and whisk.
5. Add in coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder.
6. Drain cauliflower. Cut your sweet potato in half and throw away the peel (you only need half).
7. Place cauliflower, sweet potato, and coconut milk mixture into your food processor and process until smooth.
8, Consume! Never eat white potatoes again!!!!
I put it on my Shepard’s pie
It was thick and creamy, unlike some cauliflower mashes I have made. The small amount of sweet potato really balances it out and the coconut milk makes it super-creamy! Try it!
What’s your favorite way to eat sweet potatoes?