I love squash!!
All kinds…there are so many types and it’s so versatile. This is an understatement and I’m so glad summer is here so I can enjoy zucchini and summer squash at a low price again!!! On sale the other day I picked up two acorn squash. I had never had it before so I was anxious to try. Originally I was going to roast it and stuff it, but a couple of nights we were having burgers and I thought it would make a great substitute for a hamburger roll since I don’t usually eat bread.
These were based off a recipe I saw in Practical Paleo. <<<awesome book!
Acorn Squash Hamburger Rolls
Serves 2/ Cook/prep time: 30 mins
1 acorn squash
1 tbsp coconut flour
1tsp cinnamon ( or more depending on taste)
A dash of salt
Coconut and olive oil
1. Cut your squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
2. Drizzle some olive oil over the squash and salt and pepper it.
3. Put the squash face down on a sprayed baking sheet and bake at 350 for 25 minutes ( depending on the size of your squash- cook until you can pierce the skin with a fork).
4. After squash has cooled (or before, because you’re starving and don’t want to wait and end up burning your fingertips like me), scoop out flesh into a large bowl and add egg, coconut flour, cinnamon and a dash of salt.
5. Heat up some coconut oil or fat of choice on a skillet or griddle and place it on medium heat.
6. Scoop out the squash mixture into a patty about 3″ in diameter. Pan fry them in oil until you can see one side is cooking through. Then flip them and cook in the other side. They take about 4 min per side.
7. Eat with a burger, avocado, toppings in the middle!
These are also delicious on their own…….acorn squash has a sweet taste that complemented my delicious grass fed burger! I love the cinnamon taste..if you’re a savory person you can always sub garlic and onion powder instead.
What substitutes for bread do you eat? If any…my favs are squash and cauliflower!