This week I’ve tried something new…working out BEFORE work in the morning. There are things I like about it and things I don’t like. I decided to compile a list of pros and cons to more or less help myself out…..and if you’re one of those people who contemplating working out in the morning hopefully my take on it helps you too!
Let’s start with the CONS
1. Wake up time. Obviously. I have to be at work at 7:30 am and I live an hour away from work. So it’s brutal. In order for me to go to the gym in the morning I have to wake up at 4:30. Aaaaand it’s early.
2. Limited breakfast options. Because of my time crunch I have to grab breakfast on the go if I’m working out in the morning. This takes away from my usually cherished sit down breakfast. I love breakfast and everything about it…so this is a major con for me. This week I have been doing fast things like protein bars, protein shakes, hard boiled eggs and home made egg sandwiches…but it just isn’t the same!! Also, I have to gulp down my coffee then bring more to warm up at work later on because it gets cold sitting in the car. Sitting down to a hardy breakfast and taking my time sipping my coffee is something I look forward to.
Eggs, kale and sweet potato…I will miss breakfasts like this! There’s always the weekend.
3. Showering at the gym. This is kind of gross. I’m sorry. It’s annoying to have to lug all my clothes for the day with me and do my hair/make up at the gym. The showers kind of smell. Ick.
1. Puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day. Working out makes me feel good. When I have started my day doing something that makes me feel good, it puts me in a MUCH more positive mind set. Positive thinking is something I’ve been struggling with, so I think this is a big deal. I also don’t have to dread going all day and it’s over and done with.
2. Less annoying people. Anyone at the gym at 5 AM is serious about fitness. No soccer moms trying out Zumba…or teenagers gallivanting around the cardio machines getting in my way. I like this. One of the main reasons I started not liking the gym was because people were starting to annoy me there.
3. More time in the afternoon. With the weather getting nicer, it was really hard to truck myself to the gym in the afternoon knowing I’d rather be enjoying the beautiful weather. I can’t run yet because of my back injury, and it was making me seriously depressed not being able to exercise outside. With my workout out of the way in the morning, I can spend the afternoon reading in the sun (as I did today) or doing wedding crafts in the garage (as I did yesterday!). I get so stressed coming home from the gym in the afternoon to a mountain of dishes that I have to clean, then make dinner, then do more dishes, then shower, then it’s time for bed already!
Well there are an equal amount of pros and cons……I think though that I have enough time to leave and go shower at home and grab breakfast. And I think the enormous effect this has on my mindset and happiness is worth getting up in the morning and having a sit down breakfast. I am going to try to stick to doing this for at least a couple of weeks. Once I get in the habit…getting up will be second nature. And oh yeah, I have less than a month until it’s SUMMER (boo yah) so I won’t have to worry about 4:30 am for too much longer….20 more mornings to be exact…but who’s counting?
Thoughts?? Do you work out in the morning or afternoon? Why???