I know I am a terrible, terrible blogger! It’s been over a week!! Needless to say I have been pretty busy with my wedding planning and Ausitin and I are in the beginning stages of buying a house. Yeah we’re crazy….It’s been an interesting and eventful summer…..
Last week I figured the 90 degree temps called for one of the most filling and belly warming dinners out there…Shepard’s pie. Please don’t ask me why……I was already too far into it to quit….plus it’s delicious. I put a spin on the usual topping by using a purple sweet potato that I picked up at Tops. This single sweet potato was probably the single inspiration for me to make Shepard’s pie on a 90 degree day. I should reblog this recipe in December when people actually care.
Paleo Shepard’s Pie
1 lb grass fed ground beef
4-5 large carrots
4-5 stalks celery
1-2 cloves garlic
1/2 a large onion
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup chicken stock ( approx…I used about three frozen chicken stock ice cubes)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp Onion powder
Salt & pepper <<< use to your discretion!!
2 cups cauliflower/ sweet potato purée (use purple sweet potato because it’s awesome!!)
1. Preheat your oven to 375.
2. Chop your celery, carrots, onion and garlic.
3. Heat coconut oil in a large, deep sauté pan. When it’s hot, throw your veggies in.
(Prepare sweet potato cauliflower purée!!! see other recipe)
4. Cook for 7-8 minutes until softened. Place your meat in the pan and begin to brown it with the veggies.
5. When the meat is browned, add coconut milk, chicken stock and spices. Bring to a boil then let simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Add coconut flour and let mixture thicken for another five minutes.
7. Spray a large casserole dish with olive oil spray. Place filling in the dish. Cover with potato mixture.
8. Bake for 45 minutes.
I was seriously sweating after making this…. Maybe you should wait a couple months….but it sure is delicious!!