And so I continue with my baking experiments, as well as attempt to get as much use out of the donut pan I got for my bridal shower.
These happened in an attempt to make PaleOMG’s (do I link to that website enough or what?) apple cider donuts. After I got somewhat into it I realized I did not, in fact, have apple cider. Fail. So I decided to wing it. I’m really happy with the result. Especially since the apples I made these with are straight from our back field, that we FINALLY got a chance to navigate to yesterday. It took some climbing through thick brush and swamp, but we made it!
There were a few apple trees and after eating enough to give me a stomach ache sampling them, I shoved as many as I could into my pockets and headed out. They’re not pretty, but they’re delicious!
Since they weren’t aesthetically wonderful, I decided to peel some and do a little baking. You don’t have to use backyard apples for this recipe!
Paleo Apple Donuts
Makes about 15 mini-donuts
1/2 cup almond butter (or other nut butter)
1 cup shredded apple (about 1 large or two medium…or 5 backyard teeny ones LOL)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 heaping teaspoon of baking powder
1 tablespoon of raw honey
dash of nutmeg
1 tablespoon of coconut flour
**Pre-heat oven to 375
1. Beat your egg and mix together with the apple and almond butter until incorporated.
2. Sift in coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder.
3. Add the honey and mix everything together.
4. Spoon small amounts into a GREASED donut pan (these would work as muffins too you just have to bake them longer).
5. Bake for roughly 10-12 minutes. Be sure to check on them. Take them out when they are turning golden brown on the top.
What’s your favorite way to eat apples?