Rice is another one of those ‘paleo grey area’ foods. I used to be able to eat multiple packets of white rice in one sitting. I could just eat rice for dinner growing up basically. First it was just white rice. Then I ate brown rice when I thought that was healthy.
Rice is a grain, so it’s a no-no in paleo land for the same reasons as wheat and corn. If you eat rice and enjoy it, it’s fine with me. No judgment here! To tell you the truth, rice, especially white rice is a “food with no brakes” for me. Once I start, I can’t stop. I am a carb-0-holic!! I will house multiple servings of rice and have no “I’m full!” switch in my brain to stop.
Cauliflower, however, my body DEFINITELY lets me know I’ve had to much. So that’s why I love using it as a substitute for rice. It’s a pretty blank slate you can flavor any way you want! That’s why when making a batch last night for under my crock pot chicken tikka masala, I decided to whip up cauliflower rice with a little twist! I thought curry flavor would go well with the Indian dish I was making. I was right! It was phenomenal!! You should definitely give this one a shot if you’re bored with plain cauliflower rice.
- 1/2 of a large cauliflower*
- 1/2 of a white onion, diced
- 2 strips sugar-free nitrate- free bacon, chopped into inch long pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Chop your cauliflower into florets and rinse off
- Place the half cauliflower into the food processor and process until the cauliflower resembles rice (Not too long or it will turn to mush! Just a few pulses!)
- Heat a medium size skillet over high heat and place the bacon in the pan.
- Cook the bacon until browned, about 3-4 minutes
- Take the bacon out of the pan with a slotted spoon. Place on paper towel.
- Put the garlic and onion into the pan with the bacon fat. Cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Carefully place the riced cauliflower into the pan. Stir around and cook until softened.
- Put the curry powder & coconut milk in the pan and stir around. Cook another 2 minutes until softened, mix back in the bacon.
- Serve as a side or under a curry!
- * You could easily double this recipe. I made it with half of the cauliflower, so that's what I am writing the recipe up for.
This makes for a great side dish or works well under a curry or as an accompaniment to spicy foods. Hope you enjoy!
What are your favorite ways to serve cauliflower rice?
Do you eat white rice? Do you think that rice should be included in Paleo?