I’m all about hidden veggies these days…because my daughter will not touch anything green or resembling a veggie. Butternut Squash has always been a favorite of mine…and everyone loves mac n cheese! I’m not too worried about it as I’m sure it’s completely normal but I’m trying to get some goodies into her when I can using smoothies, muffins and blended sauces with pasta.
We focus on healthy fats, properly prepared meats and animals products but veggies are important too! I whipped up this fast and easy butternut squash mac and cheese the other day and it is legit (even for mommies and daddies!)
Ultimately I want her to choose and eat veggies on her own
- 1/2 lb whole wheat or gluten free pasta (your choice; we used whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup purred butternut squash**
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- **Preparing the BN squash has to be done in advance! I peel, cut and cube a large one, boil it, puree it and keep the extra in the fridge to make another recipe or freeze.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- 1. Put pasta on to boil according to directions.
- 2. When pasta is almost done, in a medium saucepan, melt butter.
- 3. Throw your tbsp of butter in the pan and whisk immediately, forming a roux.
- 4. When roux is thick and bubbly, pour in milk.
- 5. Whisk continuously until thick; about 3 minutes.
- 6. Drop in cheddar cheese and stir.
- 7. When pasta is done, drain and place in the casserole dish you will cook it in.
- 8. Pour the cheese mixture over the pasta, then mix the butternut squash in. Mix well until it is incorporated.
- 9. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until starting to brown on top.